On a clear day one February, I stopped by to see my good friend Kori. She fixed lunch, which included one of the most scrumptious salads I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating. Here is my version.
- 1 cup green apples, washed, cored, and diced
- 1 cup celery, washed and sliced very thin
- 1 cup fresh mandarin or navel orange slices, seeded and diced
- ½ cup canned whole cranberry sauce, or more to taste
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raw cranberries, coarsely chopped or pulsed in a blender
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp grated orange zest
Place all ingredients except for the cranberry sauce in a large bowl. Mix gently to combine all ingredients.
Add the whole cranberry sauce (which serves as the dressing) and mix gently.
Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Spoon onto a lettuce leaf on individual salad plates or just serve directly on lunch or dinner plates as a side dish.