For some, polenta is a 'comfort food.' I enjoy it as a base for roasted or stir-fried vegetables, or as a side dish.
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (approximately 4 cloves)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chicken-like seasoning
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place ingredients in blender and whiz until smooth.
- Pour mixture into top portion of a double boiler over boiling water.
- Whisk in 1 cup finely ground polenta being careful to avoid lumps.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Simmer until it thickens, stirring the entire time.
If you like a very herby taste add the following
- ½ tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp rosemary
Cover and continue to steep for 45-60 minutes.
- Spoon some into a shallow soup bowl. Add roasted or steamed veggies and serve.
- Spoon some into a little bowl for a side dish and serve.
- Pour into a loaf pan and allow to cool. Refrigerate a few hours until solid. Remove from loaf pan and slice in 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices. Braise in a hot skillet that has been sprayed with coconut oil. Brown lightly on both sides and serve.