Mason served a version of this soup (along with his homemade sourdough bread) to a group of hungry guests who were visiting him and his wife Susan. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets, steamed until just tender and still very green
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or more depending on desired consistency)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- ½ cup raw cashews, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of pepper (if desired)
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ cup diced green onions to sprinkle on top
Place chopped onions in a large sauce pan with the bay leaf. Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat. When onions are clear, remove bay leaf.
Add chopped broccoli, vegetable stalk, seasonings, and cashews. Cook about 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
Add the non-dairy milk and blend, little by little, until very smooth.
Add broccoli flowerets, stir, and heat gently. Never boil.
Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle a few diced green onions on top, and serve immediately.