Brains and Technology
Understanding the upside and the downside of technology
This is the age of technology and in many ways human beings are better for it. But what happens when brains and technology collide? This seminar is designed to present information about the current fascination with technology along with some of its benefits and inherent dangers. Five areas are addressed:
- Learning consolidation
- Ability to delay gratification
- Socialization skills
- Multi-tasking and attention (distracted driving or walking)
- Impact on the developing brain, including narcissism
Seven tips to minimize the negative impact of technology to your brain are included.
This seminar can be presented in one 50-minute segment.
People who are interested in identifying upsides and downsides of technology and in learning how to minimize the potentially negative impact while retaining the benefits.
Upon completion of the seminar, participants should be able to:
- List the three functional brain layers
- State two benefits to the brain of technology
- Name four brain-body substances that are connected with technology
- List four potential risks associated with technology
- Describe five strategies for minimizing negative risks
Presented by Arlene R. Taylor PhD
Brain Function Specialist, Realizations Inc