My brain likes options, so when I can get two different meals with just a tweak or two, that’s great.
Typically I make a basic recipe for pasta topping, divide it in half, and (with just a little addition of coconut milk) have a delicious soup.
- 8 ounces of pasta (gluten-free, if desired)
- 8 ounces of frozen petite green peas
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp McKay's mock chicken seasoning
- 3 Tbsp raw or roasted sunflower seeds, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- ½ tsp basil flakes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil or olive-oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain, and set aside.
- Spray a large frying pan with coconut oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add frozen peas and seasonings and cook over low heat until tender, stirring as needed to keep from sticking.
- Place 1 cup coconut milk and sunflower seeds in blender and add contents of frying pan. Blend until smooth.
For pasta topping:
- Divide contents of blender in half. Set one-half aside.
- Pour remaining contents over cooked pasta and serve.
- Can also serve with a salad, bread, or muffins, if desired.
- Place other half of blender contents in a sauce pan.
- Add 1-2 cups of coconut milk depending on desired consistency.
- Note: If there were any pasta-topping leftovers, you could add those, as well.
- Heat through and serve in soup mugs.