Taylor's Spinach Quichette
Recently while visiting good friends on the Gualala coast, my friend Kathye served a variation of this quiche-tart for brunch. It was delicious! This variation has become a favorite of mine. It’s a lower-calorie option since it has no crust.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup liquid (e.g., rice milk, almond milk, vegetable broth)
- 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (if desired)
- 1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach (thaw and drain off extra liquid)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (rinse and drain)
- 1 cup egg whites or Egg Beaters®
- 1 tsp mock-chicken seasoning
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste as desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil.
Spray frying pan with olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat just until they begin to get soft. Remove from heat. Add spinach and water chestnuts and mix together. Spread evenly over bottom of pie plate.
Combine all remaining ingredients and seasonings in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Pour over the spinach mixture in the pie plate.
Place in preheated oven and bake 50-60 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cut into six or eight wedges and serve.