The average human adult brain consists of eight (8) pounds of dense matter in three major layers. (Gurian, Michael, PhD, and Patricia Henley, with Terry Trueman. Boys and Girls Learn Differently! p 17-20. CA: Jossey-Bass, 2001.)

The brain weighs 30% of its adult weight at birth. By age two it reaches 70%, and by age six it is at 90%. (Harris, Maureen. Music and the Young Mind. p vii, xi. NY: MENC with Rowman & Littlefield Education, 2009.)

The triune brain, so called, consists of the cortex and neo-cortex, limbic system or mammalian brain, and the brainstem and cerebellum or reptilian brain. (Carter, Rita, Ed. Mapping the Mind. p 33. CA: University of California Press, 1998.)

The brainstem, the limbic system, and the cerebrum constitute one way of describing the brain. The cerebrum is divided into two hemispheres. The cortex of each hemisphere is divided into four areas called lobes: The frontal lobe, the parietal lobe, the occipital lobe, and the temporal lobe. (Ornstein, Robert, and Richard F. Thompson.The Amazing Brain. Preface. NY: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1984.)

There are two cerebral hemispheres and four lobes in each hemisphere: frontal, parietal, occipital, temporal. (Brynie, Faith Hickman. 101 Questions Your Brain Has Asked About Itself But Couldn’t Answer, Until Now. p 15. CT: Millbrook Press, 1998. Giuffre, Kenneth, MD, with Theresa Foy DiGeronimo. The Care and Feeding of Your Brain. NJ: Career Press, 1999.)

Each cerebral lobe is anatomically and functionally specialized (occipital, temporal, parietal, frontal). Only the occipital is dedicated to a single sensation, vision. The other three each dedicate a about 25% to sensory/motor. The remaining 75% makes up the association cortex, a vast network of communicating fibers that unifies perceptual and behavioral experiences. (Restak, Richard. Mysteries of the Mind. p 20. Washington, DC: National Geographic: 2000.)

Each cerebral quadrant brings critically important contributions to effective living and working. (Herrmann, Ned. The Creative Brain. p 69. NC: Ned Herrmann Group, 1993.)

The right hemisphere occupies a larger volume in the association cortex, where the most complex levels of information processing and integration are handled. It contains many long fibers that connect widely separated regions and functions more holistically. The left hemisphere contains shorter fibers that provide richer interconnections within a specific region. It has a more logical, verbal, linear processing style. The two hemispheres communicate with each other over eight-hundred million neurofibers. (Restak, Richard, MD. The Brain has a Mind of its Own. p 36-40. NY: Crown Publishers, Inc. 1991.)

enfrdeitptrues
Share this page via
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com