The eight best ways to exercise your brain include:
- Develop personal faith, equivalent with hope, optimism, and belief that a positive future awaits you
- Dialogue with others, as the most social ties you have the less your cognitive abilities will decline
- Engage in aerobic energy as it strengthens every part of the brain and body and will likely lengthen our life
- Meditation and visualization are effective in helping you to maintain a healthy brain
- Yawn frequently. It is a powerful neural-enhancing tool in areas of the brain directly involved in generating social awareness and creating feelings of empathy
- Relax consciously. It helps to interrupt the brain’s release of stress-stimulating neurochemicals.
- Stay intellectually active (use it or lose it). This strengthens the neural connections throughout your frontal lobes.
- Smile frequently. It helps to strengthen the brain’s neural ability to maintain a positive outlook on life and helps to interrupt mood disorders.
(Newberg, Andrew, MD, and Mark Robert Waldman. How God Changes Your Brain—Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist. pp 151-165. NY:Ballantine Books, 2009.)